Segments are a way to group together Clients and Leads based on the demographic rules that you set for each list. This allows you to easily track and communicate with your own specific, customized groups of clients.
In this article, we'll cover:
Building a segment
To create your new segment:
- Go to People > Segments
- You can also review your existing segments on this page
- Click the + New Segment button to get started
Note: If you're creating a new Segment that is very similar to an existing Segment, and only needs a few small adjustments, you can click on the Duplicate Segments button instead. This will build a new version of the same Segment, that you can go in and edit without affecting the original Segment.
Once you've opened a new Segment, your next step is to set the basic details of this segment under Segment Settings.
- Segment Name
- Segment Description (optional)
- Auto-Update Settings
- Auto-Update - the Segment will continue to add and remove users, based on if they meet the Segment's criteria
- Lock - the users included in the Segment will not be automatically updated, even if new users meet the criteria or existing users no longer meet the criteria. (You can still manually edit the users included in a Locked Segment
Note: You must set a name for the Segment first. You will not be able to adjust any other settings in your Segment until you enter something into the Segment Name field.
Next, start setting your rules for users that can be included in the Segments, in the Rules Engine tab.
- By default, the first rule you have to set is whether this Segment will include all users in your environment (All), only Leads (Just the Leads), or only Athletes (Just the Athletes)
- Click +Add This Rule once you've selected which people should be included
- This will open up the menu on the left side of this window, where you can start setting additional rules. Click the down arrow next to each category to open up its rules options
- Lead Specific - Includes Lead Status, Created On date, Created From source, and more
- Athlete Specific - Includes Location, Membership Status, Role, and more
- Demographic - Includes Age, Gender, Tags, and SMS Subscribers
- Each rule you select from this menu will require some additional info to define the rule
- For example; if you choose Demographic>Age, you will have the option to include or exclude users older than, younger than, or between a certain age range
- Click +Add This Rule for any of these additional rules you add
Segments should autosave any time you add a new rule, so even if you navigate away from this page, the Segment should still be saved as you left it under People > Segments.
Finally, you'll want to review the list of Included People in your Segment, which we'll cover below.
Editing Users in a Segment
Once you've built a new Segment, or in any existing Segment under People > Segments, you can manually adjust the users that are included in the Segment from the Included People tab.
To remove a user from the Segment:
- Find the user on the list of Included People
- You can use the left search bar to find users on this list
- Click Exclude in the Actions column next to their name
To add a new user to this Segment, who's not currently on the Included People list:
- Find the user's name in the right search bar
- Click ADD next to their name
Note: Your Included People list should autosave as you add or remove users, but please note that it may take a short time for the changes in Included People to be reflected (typically only a minute or two)
Once you've started excluding users from a Segment, they should show up in a separate Excluded People list under the Included People tab, just above the list of included users.
You can also export the list of included or excluded users from the Included People tab in spreadsheet form:
- Checking the box next to any users you want to export
- Selecting Export from the Bulk Actions menu that appears at the top of the list
Once your Segments are ready, you can easily communicate with them by adding them to any Conversations Email.
If you need any additional assistance with building or editing Segments, feel free to reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.