An email alias is a forwarding email address that you can create from your own existing email account.
- It is most commonly used as a way to replace long or difficult-to-remember email addresses or create a secondary email address for spam or junk mail.
- In most cases, you can assign certain labels to an alias to categorize emails as they are received.
- Within Wodify, you might use an email alias to create a new profile, rather than using an existing profile tied to your email address. This would allow communication from both accounts to go to the same inbox.
In this article, we'll cover:
- Creating Aliases with popular Email Providers:
Using Email Aliases with Wodify
- In Wodify, you can use an alias email as a very simple way to create multiple accounts with the same email address.
- Keep in mind, this is a different solution than merging accounts (which is for accounts belonging to the same person).
Email aliases should be used when multiple people share the same email inbox; this is great for families sharing an email address.
- This is also an easy way to create shared admin login credentials in Core or Arena, Rise, and Live, and still, receive all email communications for it
Gmail offers extremely simple-to-use aliases and there is no limit to the number of aliases that can be used. Follow the steps below to begin using an alias for your Gmail account:
- An alias can be created for Gmail simply by using your existing username a plus sign '+', and any additional text or numbers.
- Emails sent using this format will be delivered directly to your Gmail account.
- For example, messages sent to email@example.com are delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Within Gmail you can set up filters to automatically direct these messages to another email, apply a star/label.
Yahoo allows its users to create secondary email addresses that share an inbox. Create a secondary address for Yahoo by following the steps below:
- Log into your Yahoo account.
- Select Settings.
- Click Accounts.
- Click your Yahoo email address.
- Under Extra email address, click Create address.
- Enter the name you want and click Check Availability.
- Click Choose, complete the associated prompts.
- Click Go to Inbox.
Outlook allows its users to create up to ten email aliases that share one inbox. Create an Outlook alias by following the steps below:
- Sign in to the Microsoft account website.
- Select Your info.
- Select Manage your sign-in email or phone number.
- Select Add email.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up and verify your new alias.
If you chose to Add an email, you have the option to use an email address that you already have, or you can create a new Outlook.com email address.
iCloud allows its users to create up to three unique email aliases that share an inbox. Create an iCloud alias by following the steps below:
- Sign in to iCloud Mail.
- Click the Action pop-up menu in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.
- Click Accounts.
- Click Add an alias.
- Provide the requested information:
- Alias: The text you provide becomes the email address (email@example.com). An alias must contain between 3 and 20 characters.
- Full Name: The name you provide appears in the From field of the recipient’s email.
- Label: iCloud Mail uses the label to categorize messages sent to your account.
- Label Color: Messages appear in your Inbox with the colored label that you specify.
- Click OK, then click Done.
Similar to Gmail, Windows Live Hotmail allows you to easily create an email alias without any additional setup:
- An alias can be created for Hotmail simply by using your existing username a plus sign '+', and any additional text or numbers.
- Emails sent using this format will be delivered directly to your Hotmail account.
- For example, messages sent to firstname.lastname@example.org are delivered to email@example.com.
- Within Hotmail you can set up filters to automatically direct these messages to another email, apply a star/label.
Note: Is your email provider not listed? In most cases, a simple Google search can tell you how to create an alias through your email provider.
If you need any additional assistance with using Email Aliases in Wodify, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.