With Wodify's automated billing system, we can help you streamline your current process so you can focus on your clients.
In this article, we will cover:
- How the Autobilling System Works
- Automatically retry failed payments
- Configuring your Invoice Auto Bill Settings
How the Autobilling System Works
Every night at midnight (your local timezone), the automated billing process will run and attempt to process any unpaid invoices that meet the following criteria:
- Payment Due date reflects that the invoice is due or overdue
- Auto Bill is set to Yes
- The client has a default payment method on file
The status of the transaction will be reflected in the Billing Results email. This automated email is sent shortly after the billing process is complete.
Automatically Retry Failed Invoices
If an invoice fails to process on its payment due date, and the Auto Bill setting is set to Yes, the invoice will be attempted again automatically.
If invoice Auto Bill is set to No, here's how to turn it back on:
- Open the Invoice #
- Click the pencil icon next to Auto Bill
- Toggle the slider On (purple)
- Click Save
The automated billing system will check for the criteria mentioned above so you can be confident that the system will attempt to pay the invoice again overnight. The status of the transaction will be reflected in the morning's Billing Results email.
Configuring your Invoice Auto Bill Settings
Sometimes, you may not want to try auto-billing a failing invoice over and over. For this, we built the Invoice Auto Bill feature which allows you to limit the number of times the system attempts to automatically pay an invoice.
Note: These are the two main benefits, you'll want to consider:
- It helps cut down on transaction fees. By limiting the number of auto bill attempts, the system won't continue to try paying the same failing invoices over and over.
- If a client received a Dishonour/Insufficient Funds fee from their financial institution for an earlier attempt, limiting the number of auto bill attempts can help prevent further penalties.
To set up Invoice Auto Bill:
- Go to Financial > Settings
- Within the Invoice Configuration tab > Invoice Auto Bill
- Select the Number of Auto-Bill Payment Attempts for each type of payment method
- Scroll down to Click Save
Here's how it works:
For each type of payment method - Credit Card or Bank Account - you can set the maximum number of times you'd like the system to attempt to auto-bill an invoice.
If an invoice reaches the threshold, Auto Bill will be switched to "No," preventing further auto-billing attempts.
Here are some examples based on a few of the available settings:
- 1 time: The system will attempt to automatically pay Auto Bill invoices one time. If the payment fails, the system will not attempt to auto-bill again.
- 3 times: The system will attempt to automatically pay Auto Bill invoices three times. If the payment fails the first time, the system will try again the next night. If it fails on the second night, the system will attempt payment one more time. After the third failure, the system will not attempt to auto-bill again.
- Until successful payment: The system will attempt to automatically pay Auto Bill invoices until the invoice is successfully paid.
Note: Fees to your clients from their banks tend to be higher for bank account direct debit attempts than they are for credit card attempts. This is why we provide separate options for each; you may want to consider limiting automatic bank account retries, to avoid having your clients incur substantial fees from their bank.
TIP: Wodify Blueprint Course - Increase revenue with automated billing
If you need any additional assistance with Wodify Automated Billing, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org via Priority Live Chat in your admin account (Promote only).